Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Little Something Different

Yesterday, my daughter, Kari, and I made one of our favorite morning treats - banana muffins!  I've had this recipe for years, and we all love it.  It's easy and I usually have all the ingredients on hand.  If you are looking for a recipe to use up those brown bananas, this will help you out.  I will often just throw (well, not literally throw, more like place) my brown bananas in the freezer to be used when we decide we are hankering for some warm banana muffins and a cold glass of milk.  I usually double the recipe to make 24 muffins and share them with the neighbors or the kid's friends.  They disappear in no time in our house!  Let me know what you think if you decide to make these.

Banana Muffins

Sift together and set aside:
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

In a large bowl, combine:
3 large bananas - mashed
1 egg - lightly beaten
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C melted butter or margarine

Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Divide batter evenly between 12 greased muffin cups.  You can use cupcake cups. 

Add Topping: Before baking, top each muffin cup with the following topping:
Combine 1/3 C brown sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
cut in 1 Tbsp butter -until mixture is crumbly.  Sprinkle over muffins.

Bake muffins at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes.  Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing.

No comments: