Sunday, February 22, 2009

23 Years and Counting

Today marks the 23rd anniversary of the day that Dave and I pledged our love to one another in front of our family and friends.  Amazing!

I remember it was a gorgeous day, and I would dare say it was the result of my grandma praying that it wouldn't rain on our wedding day.  I also remember that I was so nervous standing in front of everyone that I got the giggles and although I tried to hide it, my shoulders shook off and on throughout the first moments of our wedding.  I remember the moment Dave and I saw each other in our wedding finery before the wedding.  We had decided to take our pictures before the ceremony so that we could more quickly join our friends and family at the reception.  We wanted a special moment alone to see each other for the first time, so Dave waited for me in the sanctuary and I found my way there.  I'll never forget walking in to see him; he was looking so handsome in his tuxedo, and I remember being thankful that he had actually showed up.  :-)  I am so glad we had that moment of calm and wonder together before we joined the rest of our family and friends for the pictures.  I carried that moment with me the rest of the day.

We've learned a lot in these past 23 years, and much of it was learned the hard way (just like everyone else learns in their marriages).  But I will tell you this, I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.  In fact, I believe our love is stronger and more real because we've walked through the hard times and come out the other side choosing to love anyway.  I am a better woman because of the man the Lord allowed me to marry, and today I celebrate our 23 years together.

Babe, I'm so very thankful for you, and I count it a blessing to be married to you.  I'm looking forward to the next 23 years.  Thanks for showing Christ's love to me, for being patient with me, and for believing in me.  God has blessed me beyond what I could ever have hoped for.  I love you with everything I am!

Below is a picture of a very special anniversary present Dave and I received today from our daughter.  She used CD cases (how green, right?) to create a wall hanging for us.  I KNOW!  So very sweet, don't you think?



No comments: