Saturday, November 1, 2008

Soup-er Saturday

I love blustery, rainy days, so today has been a great day for me. Dave's on the mend (he had an emergency appendectomy on Wed. night), and my youngest is snuggled in my bed with a fever and the stomach flu, so we're taking it easy around here.

Today was the perfect day to make a big pot of soup. In 15 minutes, I whipped up one of our favorites. I thought you might want the recipe; it's fast, simple, and tasty. I always double the recipe and serve it with warm sourdough bread - Yum!

Just a side note, my oldest daughter just came out of her room and asked what smelled so good. I told her I had made Sausage Bean Soup (as we call it), and she said, "You are most wonderful, mother. I'm so happy!" Really. She said that; I'm not making it up! :-) See, I told you it's one of our family's favorites.


Quick and Tasty Bean Soup

In a large saucepan or dutch oven:
3/4 lb. bulk sausage

1/2 C. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 Tbsp. fresh basil (1 tsp. dried)

Brown and drain the above.


Add:

1 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 14.5 oz can beef broth (low sodium)
1 15 oz can black beans, drained

1 15 oz can pinto, butter, or small white beans, drained

Stir. Cover. Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.


Serve and top with fresly grated parmesan cheese.

If you decide to try this recipe, be sure to let me know what you thought of it. Stay warm and dry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina,

I thought I would let you know that I stop by and check out your blog occasionally and always feel very inspired by your words. When I saw your soup recipe it sounded so good so I decided to make it this weekend and my family LOVED it! Thanks so much for sharing! We now have a new favorite winter dinner!

:) Sarah Hayes

Gena said...

I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks for stopping by my blog to visit; you are always welcome here.