Thursday, June 7, 2007

I'm baaaaaack.

Well, we just arrived home from southern California about two hours ago, and already we have the laundry started, everyone unpacked, the car cleaned out, and everything put away. We're getting better at working together as a team, especially since we gave all the kids instructions on what we were going to do while we were still in the car! :~) You know, kids really can come through when we take the time to explain our expectations and give clear instruction. So many times when I get frustrated with how my kids do something, the real culprit is me. I have failed to clearly define what I am requesting of them; I've failed to give instruction or to model what I want done, and I expect them to just know what I want and to do it without bothering me. How selfish is that?! So, tonight, we got it right for once!

We had a great time at Disneyland, California Adventure, and the La Brea Tar Pits/Page Museum. My mom and stepdad went with us, and I treasure that they were able to experience Disneyland through the eyes of their grandchildren. My kids are blessed to have good relationships with all of their grandparents, and I consider it a blessing that we are able to live near them. Dave and I always thought that we would live away from our families if we followed God's leading into ministry; so we truly count it a blessing from Him that He placed us near our families.

As we were headed back to Turlock, we sensed the spiritual warfare begin. We had just had such a relaxing, rejuvenating time as a couple and family, but the minute we hit the central valley, it began. First a phone call with some very disturbing news. Our thoughts centered on what it all meant the rest of the journey home. Then, when we had time to listen to the many messages on our answering machine, there were two could have caused distress or overwhelmed feelings. BUT.......I praise God for the growth that has taken place in David and me! We simply sat down, discussed the situations, prayed, and felt God say, "This does not have to overwhelm you, and you are not personally responsible for either of these situations. So step back, give it to Me, and be at peace." And you know what? I AM at peace!

God, I thank you for the gift of Your peace which passes all understanding!

2 comments:

Mari said...

Gena,
This is an awesome ministry! Allowing yourself to be transparent and open gives me the feedom to also be free to be me. To know that I am not alone on this path and that it's OK that life doesn't have to be perfect. Learning to relax into becoming me in Christ is such a wonderful and awesome gift. Thank you for your willingness to step out in faith and allow yourself to be real and alive.

Gena said...

Thanks for being the first person to comment on my blog. None of us are alone, but boy, does Satan like to make us think we are! You, my dear, are, and always have been, an encouragement to me!