Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What Can I Do?

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still
I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
-- Helen Keller (1880-1968) American Writer


I collect quotes and keep them in a file on my computer. I have lots of them, and every so often, I go through them to be inspired, or challenged, or reminded of important truths. Tonight I came upon this quote by Helen Keller and needed this reminder. At this moment in my life, I am not free to go to Africa, but my broken heart inspires me to pray because that is the something that I CAN do. What is the "something" that you can do? So many times we are blinded to the possibilities because we are going through life in fast forward mode, failing to take time to listen, look, and really notice. Tonight I can pray for Africa and know that I have done something. I also pray for what God's will is in regard to giving me such a heart for a country I have never been to. I do hope to be able to go to Africa someday, but in many ways, I am afraid to go because I truly wonder if I would be able to come back after being there.

Another Helen Keller quote from my file: "I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." (I think this especially applies to moms who care for their families and their households! :-)

On to other things.......please join me tomorrow in fasting and praying for our church. We are seeking the Lord with our whole hearts and asking that we would be ready for the new work He is doing among us. We must seek to be right with Him and walking in obedience to His word, and we must be on the lookout for where He is already working and be willing to join Him.

2 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Love these quotes...you are right, they are SO inspiring to do all things well...

i've always believed you have to be faithful in the small before you'll be trusted with the greater...

thanks for sharing these!

lisa

Gena said...

Interesting you should say that.....the one verse I share all year long with my students (I teach at a Christian School) is, "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will be dishonest with much." Lk 16:10 Wow, what would happen if
Christ-followers were faithful in all of the little things in their lives?! Exciting to think about! Thanks for sharing!